Tuesday, July 05, 2005

my singing debut.

for those of you who wanna know... here's how my singing debut went. just my guitar and me...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

X

Doppelganger Open Mic.Open Stage will be presenting 18 artistes in one evening on Sunday, 3 July 2005 at the room upstairs at La Bodega's KL outlet on Tengkat Tong Shin in Bukit Bintang.

The new Doppelganger Open Mic.Open Stage nights are all about showcasing an eclectic range of performers which could include cabaret acts, poets, dancers, performance artists, singers, musicians and other uncategorisable emerging talents looking for an outlet.

Held the first Sunday of every month, the line-up for July's Doppelganger Open Mic.Open Stage main act features vocalist, AD on minus one. Accompanying acts include singer/songwriters Izzy, Jasemaine and *The CommonJack. The July gig will also present readings of original material by author Beth Yahp and 13 other writers. Especially for Doppelganger and Troubadours nights, happy hour prices apply for customers all night long, with a special RM20++ tapas menu for two. The organisers would like to thank La Bodega for their support and encouragement.


X

*Insert my Name there.

anyway, so i finally did it. i sang at an open mic session. i was insanely nervous. some people could tell and some couldn't. among some of the comments i received that night were:

"...good strumming dude..."

"...your strumming too aggressive and loud..."

"...next time, you should use a pick..."

"...great singing, you didn't sound nervous at all..."

"...your voice seems quite suitable for some contry/western songs..."

"...etc..."

i did 2 songs - Matchbox 20's 3am and one of my own compositions entitled If I could, I would. i got there relatively early - 6.30 ish pm. the session itself was held on the upper floor of the 2 floors La Bodega establishment. so i went upstairs, as instructed by the organiser, Jasmine Low aka Jas. it was empty - and i tuned my guitar and just sat down by myself sms-ing people and receiving calls - directing people how to get to the said venue.

as the room started filling out - i mingled and chatted with whoever showed up. and when my own friends showed up (THANKS People!) - i mingled with 'em.

singing is just a whole different deal compared to public speaking or acting man...the latter i can handle and have handled many times before. granted i always get slightly jittery with some butterflies in my stomach every time but it's a 'jittery' that i can deal with.

however, the butterflies i had before i had to sing were a whole other species of butterfly. i guess it's just that i've never sung in public before. before Jas introduced me, she actually asked me to tell her a little bit about myself - and when i said there's nothing much to say besides this being my first time ever - singing in a public place to a real 'public' ie a crowd with real strangers...Jas had a shocked expression on her face! i think she thought this was something i generally did. poor woman.

i guess singing is quite personal - its my voice, my words, my song. maybe that's why i was more nervous. with acting - i act as someone else - its an excuse to do anything i want, "...cause i was acting mar...". with public speaking or whatever, "...i have to do this. i'm giving a speech. i have something to say...".

although, she did say she wanted me to come back again if i wanted to. LOL.

i just might. we'll see lah.

there should be another one next month on the 1st Sunday.

till then - ... .

p/s: i got to talking to the writers too - next year i might even join a *writing class. aih, me and my multi-faceted life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello you. just checking in - very cool that you finally did that! one step closer, etc. etc. any pictures/video/recordings? i'll be back in august - we catch up then? -s.

michaelcsm said...

hi. thanks for the note - however, maybe next time you could leave me a little clue as to who you are...might help - especially since you added that you'd be back in aug...i have no idea who to expect in aug now... :D

dilettante.

Unknown said...

the commonjack siotttttt... biso aku nak angkat royalti sket wei... namo tue aku yg kasi kan... kan ko dpt ilham dr si adelinebianca dulu wek!

Anonymous said...

lol - yes - silly of me to assume you'd know. hope all going well. -serena.