Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The New Stage

September 3rd

On this day last year:
Andre Agassi retires after winning 60 career titles.

On this day 2004:
After a 2-day standoff, Islamist terrorists murder about 340 held inside a school in Beslan, Russia.

On this day 1989:
"Into the Woods" closes at Martin Beck Theater New York City after 764 performances.

On this day 1978:
Pope John Paul I officially installed as 264th supreme pontiff.

On this day 1971:
John Lennon leaves U.K. for New York City, never to return.

As for Sept 3rd 2007 - nothing really spectacularly amazing to report on my end except that it marks the first day I got a 'real job'. Close friends may know why the term real job is highlighted. Private joke. Moving along...

Yes, ladies and gentleman, I have now officially and properly joined the ranks of the working Malaysian public. For the first time in my 25 years of life on this earth, I have finally landed myself a permanent job. EPF, SOCSO, income tax and eventually all the relevant thingamajigs will finally affect me. I am no longer just a kid trying my hand at interesting jobs. I now have a career that needs attention and care. In other words, no more f*cking around.

The change is happening not quite at a gradual pace but moving along quite nicely at a pace that is not entirely comfortable but not terribly alarming either. Not so long ago I changed my mobile number from pre-paid to post-paid. And that may seem like a small little iddy biddy thing to most but for me, it was indeed a milestone that is still fresh on my mind. When I was still at school, I always saw the option of getting a fixed line only open to adults who earn a living. In that sense, I now consider myself an adult earning a living. Thats big.

If we rewind further back, I stopped using my Mum's credit card to fill up petrol for my car. I started paying for my own. This probably took place 2 years ago. It was accomplished solely on my income as a part-time Kickboxing Instructor at TNT Kickboxing. In fact, my income from there pretty much kept me going for a solid 2 year period. From entertainment to the essentials of pre-paid reloads and petrol and food, I survived on Kickboxing Money. (Thank you TNT!)

The decision to pay for my own petrol was instigated by a passing statement by my 2nd bro to me, "That's why...can't even afford to pay for your own petrol, then you want a car??"

Since I resented the fact that that statement resonated the stink of an accusation that I was being spoilt, I made a conscious decision and concerted effort to start paying for my own things. And only resorted to asking for money from parents when I absolutely couldn't afford something I needed.

But it helped a lot, cause I was motivated. I did all kinds of jobs. From event management to kickboxing to acting and some odd stuff in between - I did a lot.

As most of you would know, just before I started on my current job, I was working in production.

I worked my ass off in production. The pace was crazy and at times I felt like it was a neverending gargantuan task that I would never be able to complete alive. This may sound like a dramatization but I assure you, its as real as it gets. I don't think I'll ever feel that kind of pressure to perform at work ever again.

But, after all is said and done. I finished my term there. I got out alive. And feeling quite proud of the end product. Although, I know that I only contributed 'so much' - I'd like to think that it was enough for someone fresh like me. I feel I did myself good. Far from perfect - sure - nevertheless, I'm proud of the 'little' that I did do well. The only comfort I have is the assurance from both the Director and the Producer of Popiah, that they would gladly hire me again should I decide to continue to stay in the Production line.

But they did caution me - that when I told them if I ever go back to production - my end goal is to be someone who can Produce, act and even direct shows ... they told me that I'd have a realllllllly loooooong way to go. And in not so many words, I guess they told me what I already knew, I don't think I'm patient enough to go through all the hardship and time required to get there.

So with a heavy heart I said good-bye to Production. I still will write, act and even direct - but under my own terms and at my own pace. If I ever strike gold and something that came from me sells...then all the better because its what I love to do. But if nothing happens, it still works out for me cause its something I love to do. So either which way I look at it - I guess I win.

Now I'm working in YouthMalaysia.com Sdn. Bhd. (Yes, it is a website. But we're not a dot.com company.)

YM.com is a non-profitable and non-governmental organization that strives to support the cause of youth unity. It will serve as a community platform to allow the Malaysian youth to join together as one.

My own personal goal for joining YM.com is to help create sustainable and easily accessible platforms in diversified fields to enable Malaysian Youths across the board to live empowered lives.

Now don't that sound noble and shit... haha - put away all the cynicism for once. And read on.

In all seriousness, I like the idea that if I do this well, I could be apart of creating something that can really change some lives. And in my own little way, I get a chance to make a difference.

Thats the impetus. Thats my drive. Thats something worth paying EPF, SOCSO and going to the office for. Innit?

Beats just going to work, looking to climb the ranks and earning profit. Essentially, thats whats I'm doing too - sure - I'm looking to create something profit generating, climb the ranks and become a partner and make some money to be able to live the life I want to live. But its bigger than just that. Thats what I like.

This is the new stage from which I will need to perform. Only time will tell whether I'll get a standing ovation at the curtain or a resounding 'boo' instead. Hopefully, I won't f*ck up and fall off the stage either!

Dedication: This entry goes out to all who still visit my blog and check on how I'm doing. Even if you don't leave any comments or any clue that you do visit my blog - I appreciate the effort. But for f*cks sakes - leave lah a comment! ;)

But before I leave - here's a picture of Captain and myself - playing fetch.

Signing off.

The CommonJack.

12 comments:

Nri2 said...

very clever-ey? after eons of years only post, then have guts to request for comments. tsk tsk tsk. talk about being demanding! =P

but honestly, sweets, know that i am proud of you. giving up production does not reflect on your inability to sustain interest, but more like, fully exploring your options when you can still afford it; and that takes a LOT of guts. i am glad that you are onboard Youth Malaysia; it seems to promise a lot of opportunities that you were looking for. here’s hoping i’ll be as lucky as you in finding my footing…

well, here’s for the unpredictable future…that promises the only constant that is, ‘WE’!!
*wink*

Love you heaps,
Me, baby.

Nri2 said...

p/s: nice photos of you and captain btw. the photographer must be brilliant! BRILLIANT i tell-ya! a natural! it's apparent that she (cause all brilliant people are 'shes') is only using a 2.0 megapixel camera phone. can you IMAGINE, what kind of BRILLIANT work she can produce if she was using a more high-end camera; say...the Nikon D40x? ABSOLUTELY FANTABULOUSLY BRILLIANT!!!!...i'd imagine.


=P

Anonymous said...

Okie, dokie... guess I better leave my imprint or else I'll be reading stale news for many moons to come....
By the way.... congrats on your new job...! But for pete's sake, keep your blog updated yea... especially with regards to your new job. Sounds cool.... B

michaelcsm said...

Woo hoO! Comments! More than one sumore! Woo hoo!

Excitements...

G said...

Yoohoo! :D

Gratzi's on joining the perma-workforce, EPF, SocSO and the works!

<--- (sum's friend)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree... the photographer is brilliant =P

Congrats on the job btw! =D

Jeffrey Choong said...

Yea... they are brilliant~!!

suelynn said...

im glad you found something you're passionate about and at the same time provides stability.

i'm still feeling my way around.

talking about making a difference, just to let you know, you're a source of inspiration for me =)

Unknown said...

this is a comment.

michaelcsm said...

Hey Cheryl,

Calling me a source of inspiration...dont la so drama. :D

i also still trying to figure things out. its not all sorted. so don't worry - you're not alone.

take care.

And to my Sweets,

Yes, you did take brilliant pictures. And see how many people have agreed!

*grin*

Fiona-Jane Gomez said...

Congrats on the new job! When you buying me lunch??? :)

michaelcsm said...

hey fiona!

thanks. abt buying lunch - you're on. i'll give you a call when i'm around hartamas - which i am relatively a lot. not really during lunch time though. more so in the evenings or nights when you're normally busy teaching i guess.

maybe i'll drop by your school and maybe we can get some supper after you close?

see you around.