Friday, September 14, 2007

Wear Sunscreen.

A Baz Luhrmann song from a while back entitled Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) has a lot of corny and cliched lines of 'advice' that I would normally scoff at if told to me. But being dispensed in the form of a chill out song and the smooth soothing voice of good ole Luhrmann himself somehow managed to make those cliched pearls of advice easier to swallow. And everytime I listen to that song, I think to myself,

'Yeah - I do look good. I don't need a six pack. And Yeah I don't have to worry about the future. And Yeah, I should forget the insults and remember the compliments. And Yeah, I should be more mindful of what I do with my knees, bend down to pick heavy stuff up - don't f*ck up my back. And I shouldn't feel guilty that I don't know what to do with my life, that makes me interesting!' and so on and so forth.

However, there are 2 lines in particular that never fail to jump out at me and stay in my mind.

Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.


This line basically always strengthened my resolve to not give a rats ass about someone if that someone just stresses me out more often than necessary. You can't please everyone right? People make mistakes. But recklessness is not to be misconstrued as mistakes. They are not the same. Mistakes are forgivable. Recklessness - well - a string of recklessness is not.

Do one thing everyday that scares you


This line is the 2nd one that never fails to jump at me. What holds people back? Its fear. Thats it. If you say its your parents, then its probably because you're afraid of disappointing them or afraid of angering them. If its life, then you're just afraid to live. And thats a sad way to go about life. There are always ifs and what nots. And if you really want to think about those, then life would probably become an endless chore.

Caution: Corny paragraphs coming up.

Its definitely easier to just focus on what you want. I don't believe people who say they don't know what they want. People like that are usually people who want a lot of things and just don't know which to choose. Like me. There are 2 ways to deal with that, either you spend your whole life thinking about which option to attempt first OR make a list and then go for it. I'm not saying go into it blindly, but think of the pros and cons and be willing to accept both aspects of your choice.

Some people get stuck on the pros and cons part and spend a lot of unnecessary time thinking if they can accept the cons. If that happens, I suggest - look at the pros. If its exactly what you want. Go for it. Cause if you don't know whether you can accept the cons after spending weeks on end thinking about them, then you probably won't be able to figure it out no matter how much time you spend on them. Every experience is never a total loss as long as you know there is something you can get out of it.

I am scaring myself everyday now. From the moment I wake up. I've chosen a career path that I never thought I would. I am trying to build something out of nothing. I spend many waking moments thinking about whats the best way to go about doing it. I ask my Father and Brothers and every other experienced acquaintance for advice every time the opportunity comes up. And I usually get a hard time for doing so - especially from my family. And thats something I have to deal with. It won't stop me from asking - because the truth of the matter is I'm not sure of what I'm doing. But that won't stop me from doing the best I can.


On another note:
Rose Rose I love you!

And I just scared myself even more yesterday, when I made another choice. I took up an offer to be apart of the ensemble of a musical due to be staged in November. The next 2 months I'll be focusing my energies into trying to build a company and rehearsals / performing.

I'm already scaring myself with my first choice. Why would I want to scare myself even more right? But I guess I'm just a gutsy fool. I'm cool like that.

Thats it for now. I'm out.

P/s: Wear Sunscreen.

2 comments:

Nri2 said...

I'd left a long comment about my fears and the almost tears...but it didn't post. Maybe cause it's fate or whateveryourmommaraised youtobelieve, interfering with the display of my fears about the changes that I am about to embark upon.

Guess I have not much of a choice but to roll up my sleeves, stare 'em in the eye and say "Bring IT ON!"

Though with all these changes, I am almost alfraid to ask, "Will you always be my only constant?"

michaelcsm said...

Of course babes. Like you are to me. :) *hugs*