Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...

the age old addage of, "Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em..." really applies to me when it comes to computers. i use 'em all the time. almost everyday! but if it ever got to a point where my life depended on me keeping my computer in good shape, up to date, etc... i'd have a relatively short life.

i've been on a rampage to equip my room with everything i need so that i can just lock myself in there and not have to come up for a very, very long time if i wanted too. *grin.

so, i've got an audio set-up which i'm quite happy with. i've got nice lights to create the proper ambience for almost any mood. furniture wise, it's alright. so the only few *essentials that'd make me happy...well - a TV, a CD player (been using my discman hooked up to my amp - which really is just not adequate) ... i also would like to be able to lock myself in my room and write (eventually - once i'm done with law) ... plus it'd be great to be able to record all the songs i've written in my room too...

initially, i had loads of ideas...buy some cheap-ass tv and dvd player (which could double up as a CD player) ... maybe an old-skool type-writer for writing? ... but to record songs and shit - i'd need a computer of sorts (i could use the computer in my Mum's office (at home) but it wouldn't be as nice. i feel like my creative juices are more free to roam when i'm in my room.

anyway - that led to only one conclusion. i needed to get my own computer.

needless to say, Mum went, "HAH! You crazy ar? I've got a lap top. I'll use that. You take the desk top!"

*Grin. i didn't put up much of a fight lah.

but been having lots of problems setting up the computer. 1st, it was full of viruses and needed reformatting. then i needed to get a router and then a wireless usb receiver. then i had to get a dvd-rom so that i could watch movies...

i can console myself and by saying that it's cheaper than buying a whole new computer ... but the pocket is still feeling it nevertheless. basically, now, something is wrong with my wireless connection. and i still can't go online despite spending most of today buying stuff, reconfiguring stuff ... etc...

i went to Computer Wars in SS2 to get my new stuff. it was so busy in there...nobody even came to me to ask what i wanted. i was just shoved around till someone noticed me. i said what i wanted, they pointed at several directions. i had no idea what i was looking at... and had to look quite closely to see whether i was getting what i really wanted. like i was worried i said 'wireless USB receiver for my router' wrong. i was quite confident with the 'dvd burner' but when i tried to haggle for a lower price - all the guy had to do was scoff at me and say, "if you can find anywhere cheaper...tell me! i go there and buy their whole stock!" and i gave in. geez. i've got no backbone.

anyway, i'm still stuck on my Mum's laptop in her office at home rather than in the comfort of my own room with the right music and right ambience cause of my lights and my bed just nearby... hopefully, this time tomorrow. that won't be the case.

i'm out.

the commonjack amongst the kings and queens.

No comments: