Monday, March 14, 2005

i ain't no fighter.

it's 1 am.

i've finally gotten the nerve to start sparring with the big boys now.

see, i've been a kickboxing instructor for about 6 months now. before this, i could never build up the nerve to join the sparring sessions. i just couldn't imagine myself in a ring 'going at it' and just going in for the kill kind of a thing you know?

my whole life, physical fights was never an option - not because i was scared but because i always believed that something like that should be avoided as far as possible. at one point in time, i believed that one can never have a 'good reason' to actually fight with someone. however, now i understand that sometimes - you gotta. but i'm talking about very extreme situations here.

i've managed to go through my whole life thus far without ever having to fist-fight someone.

at any rate, i still wanna learn how to defend myself. i used to think that push come to shove - if someone were attacking me and i had nowhere to run - i'd be able to defend myself. since i started kickboxing - that confidence increased even more.

but i was rudely awakened the 1st time i went into the ring. i couldn't even bring myself to hit the other guy properly. and when he attacked me - it took me a while before i could react properly. and as a result, i was very apprehensive - throwing my punches all wrong - off the mark with my kicks. it was horrendous.

1st time:
was up against a local champion fighter - KUMAR fights in the 70kg's and above weight division. at 1st, he told me to attack him and he'll just defend. 2 minute rounds. so the 1st round and most of the 2nd round he just defended himself. by the last 30 secs of the 2nd round - the head instructor told him - "OK, fight back but control your power."

he started punching me - and they were hard. i blocked the punches but then he gave me a sidekick right into the solar plexus. i was down on the ground and i couldn't breathe for 5 secs. that was the end of the night for me.

2nd time:
was alright but i was very stiff and still had no idea what to do. apprehensive and couldn't bring myself to hit my opponent. not properly. apparently my punches were better but i couldn't bring myself to kick someone proper. as a result, i went home with bruises here and there but i hardly touched anyone! (at least i didn't feel so bad this time though.)

3rd time:
this time - i had more confidence. i hit my opponents but still found it difficult to take hits and counter attack. when i saw someone come at me - i kinda freeze for a split sec before i react. and as a result i don't protect myself fully proper. i get a few hits and block the rest and catch my breath before i attacked back when i was supposed to conserve energy as my opponent attacks me so that i can counter back the moment he stops.

i did get hit on a 'dead spot'. there are a few parts on your body that are called dead spots meaning if you were to get hit there - your muscle in that area would spasm and it'll hurt like a mutha. and you wouldn't be able to move. i had to be helped out of the ring and had to sit out for 5 mins before the pain went away again. oh well...

4th time: (my most recent)
i put up the best fights i've ever put up. i was confident. i planned ahead what 'moves' i wanted to execute and i executed them. there were like 10 people signed up for sparring that night and everyone had to have at least one round against everyone else. at 2 mins each round - that totals up to about 20 mins of fighting. it may not sound like a lot - but even 2 mins of full out and out fighting takes a lot out of ya!

6 ppl were made up of seniors and 4 ppl were made up of 1st timers at sparring. i put up good fights with the 5 other seniors and i was bitch tired at the end of it. i took a few shots on my left rib - it was feeling rather sore. when it came to the 4 newbies - i was so tired - i was fighting them like a beginner! i got a few good shots in but for some reason the newbies all hit me right at the same spot ie my left rib! i must have got kicked at least 15 times at the same spot that night.

when i got out of the ring and took out my mouth guard and removed my head gear ... and breathed in properly ... my rib was really feeling it. it really hurt. oh well...

there's a nice little bruise there right now. but it's healing up rather nicely.

conclusion is, my learning curve with this sparring thing is a little slow...but i'm getting there. admittedly, i ain't no fighter. but you know what? i'm looking forward to my next session... :D

signing off, the commonjack.

No comments: