Saturday, April 08, 2006

Morality?

"you think you know yourself boy? let me tell you something. you have no idea. "

that's more or less what Matt Dillon's character said to Philippe's character in the movie CRASH.

i watched that movie a long, long time ago before all the 'hoo-haa' of the awards and such. and i loved it. i put it in on a night i couldn't sleep and stayed up right to 4 am watching it. the opening line by Cheadle caught me and i was trapped. although the movie centred on the ugly issue of racism in the USA, the fact that racism is such a strong ugly element of human nature - it has a very universal flavour. anyone can identify with it in some way or other.

but i'm not going into a full on review on CRASH. obivously, it's a good movie. so, if you haven't watched it - it's a recommended watch for sure.

i just wanted to say, that the one thing that'll keep me humble is my belief that i have my own set of beliefs and moral standards - but i am acutely aware that, so does everyone else - and much akin to my view on 'opinions', just like assholes, everybody has one.

however, i always thought that people i am close friends with - well, i always thought that we'd share some semblance of that standard. recent events have made me realise that that is not necessarily true. a 'semblance' would perhaps be too strong a word - perhaps 'appreciation' for each others' standard would be more apt.

that led me to question, "Is that enough?" would you be able to still regard someone as a close friend if he/she did not share a 'semblance' of your own standard of morality?

would an 'appreciation' of your stand on matters be adequate?

it disturbed me for for awhile. this little anal train of thought which certainly is the product of one who is desperately avoiding doing what he is supposed to be doing (i should be studying!). but i believe i've reached a definitive conclusion on this matter.

i truly believe that i was asking a non-consequential question ie "Is that enough?"

surely, the question of consequence, the real bottom line, the one that counts is, "Regardless of whether that person shares your belief or so-called standard - would that person be someone you can count on?"

and that's when i realised, that regardless of whether people whom i regard as close friends share my beliefs/standards or not - they are people i can count on - no matter what. they'd go out of their way to help me do something i believe in even if they didn't themselves.

so, what do i then make of people who say things like, "I can't be friends with someone who does not share my beliefs/standards" ?

honestly, i think that is a very fair thing to say. but then again, that's not the pivotal statement is it? it should be, "I am friends with anyone I can truly count on to help me in anything I need help in. And I do mean anything."

oh well - i was just musing.

signing off, the commonjack.

No comments: