Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Day 1 down.

ok. 1st paper done.

yesterday's paper started at 2 pm till 5 pm.

bascially i could answer all 4 of my questions. i was quite happy to see everything i wanted to write about. but i guess not enough practice writing a full answer within 45 mins hurt me big time. 20 mins into the 1st question, i knew i was going to need a whole lot more than 45 mins to finish it.

so i decided to keep to my 45 min mark (but i didn't. i overshot it by almost 10 mins and was nowhere near the end!) i wrote whatever i could. and then moved on to my next question. and what do you know? i overshot the time i set for myself in that one too. by the time i was attempting my 3rd question it was 3.40 pm. (it took me almost 2 hours to finish my 1st two questions!)

i knew i had to start on my 4th question by 4.15 pm. so it was a real rush in that last leg. it wouldn't have been too bad if i had finished my earlier 2 questions. but technically i only did just about three quarters of the 1st 2 questions. there was so much more left to write!

at 4.45 pm, not even halfway through my 4th question, i went back to my 1st 2 questions and tried to write much more. i wrote and i wrote and it felt endless. then i went back to the last 2 questions and tried to fill it up with more substance. and suddenly - "You have 5 minutes left."

my mind went, "hai lat ..."

so i went back to my last 2 questions to try and at least get halfway through them and finish them up point form.

the other shitty thing is that the invigilators decided to get their act together this year and actually fixed where each student would sit. i was right up in front. meaning, my paper would be collected 1st. fortunately, the guy must have noticed me going, "hai lat ...", because he let me continue writing when the announcement to 'Stop writing' had already been given. i had to conclude on whatever it is i wrote at the very least. so in the last desperate 10 minutes after the 5pm mark, i was trying to write legible and logical conclusions to whatever i wrote.

(which is really tough especially since i didn't really expand on many points.)

on my last question, which i only managed to write 1 page on ... "Explain what has sociology done to help in our understanding of law." there was so much to write! i could have written about Prof.Hart, Karl Marx, Hans Kelsen, Austin - how all of these Jurists have an element of sociology even when they tried to play down the importance of the element. i'm so sure i could have 'aced' this question. instead i only mentioned briefly all their names and the element of sociology prevalent in each of their theories. like maybe 2 sentences each. and my conlcusion was laughable because it was only one sentence, "Sociology is everywhere."

if only i had more than 20mins to write it!

oh well. right now, honestly - there's no sense in trying to guess whether i wrote enough to pass or not. if i fail it. there's no point in going to sit for the rest of my papers because Juris is my core paper for the year.

so next up JUNE 1st - Company Law.

signing off, the commonjack.

5 comments:

Alysia S. said...

i'm glad i'm doing multimedia... =p

good luck babes

suelynn said...

ooiii.. im sure you did ok. trust me. i only attempted 3 questions for all the subjects in our first yr and i passed dude! no worries ;)

michaelcsm said...

lisha,

thanks for the lucks. i is needing it.

in3cate,

'our first year'? which year you talking about? inter? that was a whole other ballpark!

anyway, thanks all the same. nice to know i have my small band of supporters!

hope you're feeling good about yourself too!

Su Phing said...

good luck too. I'm sure you'll be fine this time.

Hart, Austin, Marx... names close to heart (if I can still remember them! Haha...)

michaelcsm said...

oriental damsel,

you know, i really your blog nick. 'oriental damsel' ... has a nice ring to it. :)

thanks for the luck. as always, nice to know i have a small little support group.

*keeps me fr thoughts of suicide. (after all, i do have 'dark' tendencies.) *grin.

adios.